Opera Mobile 10.1 beta

Discuss the best Android Market Place Apps and Games for Scrolls (older models)

Opera Mobile 10.1 beta

Postby Pete_S » January 6th, 2011, 3:52 pm

http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2010/11/09/, you can get it from the market.

It has the best scrolling and panning I've experienced on the Scroll from any app, very smooth and judderless. There's tab support, easy downloading of files (even more than one at the same time), and the Speed Dial feature with miniature previews of the bookmarks.

The best thing, a "hidden" secret, is the ability to access the configuration file by entering "opera:config" in the url bar. You are taken to an interface where you can change virtually any aspect of the app you want - your jaw will drop when you see the list! I've only done one mod so far, changing the User agent to "mozilla/5.0" so I get served up desktop versions of sites rather than the, sometimes wretched, mobile versions.

The downside of OM 10.1 is the huge footprint (50MB-ish)which really eats into the available storage. But, if a decent browser is important, it's worth it. I wouldn't be without it now :)
Pete_S
Donator
Donator

Re: Opera Mobile 10.1 beta

Postby Veng » January 6th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Any links to the APK direct? My market is buggered for now.
Mark

DJ Steve's 2.2 (beta)
Old Firmware: v1.01
Veng
Scroll Master
Scroll Master

Postby Pete_S » January 6th, 2011, 4:58 pm

Pete_S
Donator
Donator

Postby Detection » January 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Veng wrote:Any links to the APK direct? My market is buggered for now.

Dont mean to go off topic, but what is wrong with your market ?

My icon disappeared and the only way back in was to run Advanced Task Killer, hold down on the running market process that seemed to still run no matter what, and choose "Switch to"

Then I discovered "Any Cut" which allowed me to find Market again and create a new shortcut
Detection
Scroll Genuis
Scroll Genuis

Postby Gordy1965 » January 7th, 2011, 5:54 pm

This is a great programme, been using it on my Blackberry for a while now and it works a treat. Nice to know it is available for Android as well.
Model: S1008
Firmware: v. 0.94
Kernel: 2.6.29
Build: Android 2.1
Gordy1965
New Scroller
New Scroller

Postby Pete_S » January 14th, 2011, 12:11 am

Beware! I've just found out that Opera is generating several 1000s of temp files. We're talking 60+ MB of small files after just 2-3 weeks light use :( They're in:

/data/data/com.opera.browser/opera/profiles/smartphone/cache/sesn/

To manually delete I found it easiest to rename sesn to sesnx, create a new sesn, and delete sesnx. Even the delete takes root explorer about 30secs - minute.

Latest finding:

OK. It is the actual disk cache. I didn't think it was because "clear cache" in settings didn't clear it. Go to Opera configuration (enter opera:config in the url bar), find "disk cache" entry and uncheck "enable", then use the save button. You can then delete the "sesn" folder and it won't come back, problem solved. Disabling the disk cache doesn't appear to impact performance much.

The problem occurs because although Opera is set by default to empty the disk cache on exit, there's no way to properly exit the app, it ends up either being killed by you or by the system. So, the tmp files just build up and up. Doh!
Pete_S
Donator
Donator

Postby Mitre » February 16th, 2011, 12:28 am

i'm using opera mini(Very fast) does this suffer from the same tmp file problem.
opera:config list doesn't show "disk cache"
WHAT DO WE WANT?
A TIME MACHINE!
WHEN DO WE WANT IT?
IT DOESN'T MATTER
Mitre
Moderator/Developer
Moderator/Developer

Scroll Version: 7" scroll resistive CWM4 Android 2.1
Scroll Excel 4.0.4 AOKP CWM5
Samsung Galaxy S2
Galaxy apollo Pulse mini

Postby Detection » February 16th, 2011, 12:31 am

Cant you set permissions on the offending folder to prevent it being written to ?
Detection
Scroll Genuis
Scroll Genuis

Postby rollyMiel » May 4th, 2011, 8:44 am

I agree with the first post it is really very awesome to use the Opera Mobile 10.1 beta. I have installed it in my android and it works perfectly only a bit complicated to use but fairly fine. Still I am planning to use Firefox moble browser for the plug-ins that I can use in my searches.

MOD EDIT: Links Removed
rollyMiel
New Scroller
New Scroller

Return to RECOMMEND Apps & Games for Scroll Tablet PC's